Thursday, April 24, 2008

Photobucket


I just have to say that I am so happy that spring is here ! I have so enjoyed getting out walking again watching everything around me burst into bloom. It is lovely enough that I can put up with all the dust in the air from the street cleaning.

On the job .... Min has been in the hospital since last Saturday, and he is recovering from pneumonia . Meanwhile B. has been thinking that he is 'gone'. That everyone is 'gone' and she is the only one left. It seems her dementia is worse under the stress of the trauma of separation .

I told her he was not dead and that she has spoken to him everyday, twice a day. That did not seem to comfort her and her memories of long ago are strangely muddled as well. I guess the nights in her bed alone disturb her the most and I will be glad when he is home, even though the work load doubles.

The family are now waiting for the nursing home to call, and when that happens my time there will be finished.

Amazing that this couple will be married 67 years in July .... no wonder B. feels like she has nothing to live for when she believes he is 'gone.' At least with the lovely weather I can take her out for walks in her wheel chair again. Funny.... every time we go out she comments that 'this is the first time ever that I have been out at this time of day'. I am glad she enjoys the moment.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Hi Nancy! I have to confess that I read your posts in bloglines but don't come over here to comment. I do enjoy your writing and all your pictures. Carol-Ann and her family love you dearly!

Thanks for visiting my blog today. It was nice to get your comment, and then I thought...hmmm, I should go over there and comment!

When you write about the elderly couple you care for, I can picture it so clearly. So many times when I am typing the doctors' reports, I feel sad for the families of the patients with dementia. It is a such a frightening separation.

Speaking of work, I better get back to it :)