Friday, December 30, 2011

Nostalgia

Photobucket


This is a Westclox Baby Ben Alarm clock and made it's appearance on the market in 1964. I used to work at Westclox General Time in Peterborough Ontario when I was 17 years old.

I recently discovered something rather remarkable when talking over the life of Pop, my husbands father, my father in law and until October of this year he shared our home until Jesus decided to take him to heaven at age 90 .

Pop used to call me his 'daughter in love'.....so endearing....

I only actually knew him personally since January 2010, thus only knowing him as a senior or maybe I should say 'Super Senior' since I am now myself a 'younger senior'.

A fun fact is that dad knew my mom when they were in their early to late teens before my mom met my father.

Anyway, Pop/ Paul Collet also worked at Westclox as the Foreman of the tool room and he became the lead toolmaker for Western Time Limited.....and Pop, our little Pop.....actually designed the components and the tools to make the components for the Baby Ben Alarm clocks. One of the most popular alarm clocks ever made.

I used to have one myself many many years ago.

So...once I discovered this wonderful news , we went on e-bay and ordered our own, just to have another sweet memory of this amazing man.

One thing I learned a long time ago was to see the value in the 'Senior'.

Remembering that this old bent form, who now needs assistance to get dressed, feed himself, and perform all the daily actions we younger ones take so for granted in our youth was once as young and vital as we see ourselves.....and has made valuable contributions to the same society that seems to devalue this same one once they are no longer young.

Once again, I digress...we are so blessed to have shared our last year together.

This little clock is a nice bit of memorabilia . Thanks Pop....you were really smart....way to go !

Photobucket


Photobucket

1 comment:

cathartic writing said...

I really enjoyed your comments regarding our seniors. I have great grandchildren of my own and have begun to write about my ancestors so that these grandchildren might know more about who and where they have come from.