Sunday, November 24, 2013

My Dear Friend Agnes

Agnes Lydia Doerksen
 
This picture is how I will always remember my friend Agnes.

The smile on her face was always a greeting whether on Sunday morning at church, or Wednesday morning ladies prayer . It was at Ladies Prayer group that I first met Agnes. At first I was impressed because she was the mother of Brian. Brian Doerksen I had known of for many years since his music is known round the world and I was touched by the Spirit of God he carried.

 Agnes was a lady of prayer. I grew in knowing her a little more each week. Becoming aware of the beauty of this gentle soul filled with such strength and wisdom was a blessing to encounter. As I got to know her heart my admiration and love enlarged .

 I observed her perseverance as she stood before the Lord with the burdens of prayer for others God had placed on her heart .

One time, I was in a particular bad 'space' wondering at my own place in His plan, if He even had one for me....Agnes face came into my mind . I saw the Jewel she was in His eyes, and that vision of who she was became imprinted on my heart. He also mentioned many other names that day, but this is about Agnes.

 There was just something so special about her, something that leaves me reaching for words that moves my heart and I imagine always will.

One day during a prayer time on a Sunday morning, Agnes had gone forward for prayer , and before she headed back to her seat , I intercepted her and asked her to pray for me. I asked if she would please give me her 'blessing' a 'mother's blessing', something I had never experienced in my own life. She embraced me and blessed me....she said..'You have waited for this all of your life, haven't you ?' Absolutely ! Right on ! Tears flowed as she held me and prayed.

Something else we had in common was our joy over the little Hummingbirds that visit our homes, and she gave me some very good advice and insight. Now as these little ones continue to visit our feeders here, I will treasure the experience all the more.

Yesterday, Saturday, was her Memorial Service and it was amazing to hear about so much of her life. I have only known Agnes for three short years, but this lady was truly the Proverbs 31 Lady and so much more.

 Needless to say I wept most of the time .

The reality that she is gone  or should I say 'relocated' hit me big time . The picture at the top of this post was up front just above where we were sitting. Every time I looked at her, smiling at me, it seemed so real....that beautiful smile and the twinkle in her eyes....smiling, smiling , smiling....while tears and sorrow flowed from my heart to Jesus . Tears of sorrow and loss , yes, but tears of thanksgiving for the honor of having known this one of His obedient ones . Sometimes at Ladies prayer she would point her finger my way,and say...'well, you know' .

Years ago Agnes was famous for her Roses, Doerksen Roses. When I would give her a hug I would always smell the fragrance of roses....the fragrance of the Lord she carried, and it was delicious !

Now Agnes is free of the confines of this earthly realm...absent from the body, present with the Lord...Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

I wonder what her first face to face encounter with her Jesus was like...I imagine she is dancing with joy at finally seeing His beauty, I wonder if she touched His Glorious Face in Love and worship ...so many things to wonder about.

One thing I am sure of , there is much smiling going on, lots and lots of smiling, and endless whispers of devotion mixed with shouts of joy ....so I will let my imagination keep on thinking happy thoughts , even though sometimes through tears for a while especially when I look at this picture, the way I knew her here on this small planet.

Thank you Jesus for the gift of knowing your Agnes, give her a great big hug and kiss for me please.

2 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Very sweet, Nancy! I'm so happy you had time to get to know her and receive that "blessing".

Anonymous said...

me too alice