Friday, November 07, 2008

It's Friday

T.G.I.F...and we are once again off to the vets.

My frisky little puppy was recovering so nicely from her surgery of two weeks ago, when yesterday I noticed a large blood filled lump on her tummy, thus precipitating another visit to Cavan Veterinary Clinic today. While I was at work Zoey worked on her wound and to my horror she had worked away at that bump and made a hole right through to the stitch underneath. Yuk!

So now she has to wear her new 'collar' and I have to take her back every two days for infection control. He did not want to stitch it up. I suggested that super glue stuff that is so popular today with humans , but he did not agree. Poor Zoe!
Photobucket


Puppies are resilient and once she discovered that I was bribing her with shaved roast beef to sneak her antibiotic in , things didn't seem so bad for awhile.

Photobucket

Most pet lovers know that vet visits are not only costly, but usually we end up having to wait , just like in a regular doctors office.

Tonight was no different except my experience was amazing.

When I arrived, there was a lady standing at the counter paying her bill and weeping. In the crate at her feet was her departed pet. My heart went out to her and so I touched her and told her I was sorry for her loss. That's ok she said, thanks. No.. I responded softly, it's not ok, I know what it's like.

Then there was a lady named Sandy holding her beautiful white cat while he had an intravenous line going into his leg. We were having a nice chat when in came some folks with Trillium a lovely golden lab.

Trillium had been playing with a stick a few days ago and ate some which left her with some kind of splinter in her somewhere that was making her throw up a lot . Trillium looked like she had been having just that kind of day.

(Here I just had to tell folks about a dog I know named Oliver(Maggie's friend) who has been known to ingest panty hose, bounce fabric softener and enough chocolate at Christmas a year ago and his subsequent vet encounter that in no way hindered his Christmas dinner.)

The fellow that broke my heart was a funny looking dog named Pete. He was 14 years old and was having a rough time. He had such a sad look on his face.
Before I even overheard the conversation at the counter, I knew Pete was here for the dreaded euthanasia. Pete was going to the Rainbow bridge.
I am sure he knew too you could just tell by his eyes, the way he looked at me.
Flash back to my last moments with my Sam.
As his owner took him to a private room to spend some alone time , tears were impossible to hold back.

Then there was Tuffy a five year old Jack Russel with his intravenous in his leg because his kidneys were not functioning properly, being comforted by his owner. Most of these owners were men. I can only imagine families at home grieving their beloved pet while dad had to do the deed.

I have come to the conclusion that pet lovers/ owners are very peculiar people. There is a special feeling when one can sit and talk with another pet owner, not even knowing their name and feel a bond of compassion beyond words empathizing with them and their animal.

There was the parenting season when this was true for me when raising my children. Again as a caregiver in serving and loving the elderly.

The thing about loving my pet is it's totally selfish. My pet likes this too and thinks it's all about her, which it is really as well.

Actually it's just for my own well being and satisfaction that I will spend my wages on dog food, puppy treats and medicine ;
pick up a lot of doggy doo doo during our life together;
laugh with delight as she takes off with my slippers just to smell my scent.

The hours of love and cuddles that are innocent and delicious and the many car outings and adventures. There is also the criticism from some who don't understand us and our affections for all things furry and sweet.

Then after many more years of unconditional love and companionship, I will once again know the sorrow of losing another great friend. It's all part of the journey.

I am sure that the folks I encountered tonight at the vet's would feel the same. We are a strange and wonderful breed ourselves and for that I am very grateful to the Lord.

6 comments:

John Cowart said...

Hi Nancy,
Just visiting from your link On Amrita's blog.

Your post about the various people in the vet's office show such sensitivity and insight. And your photos of Autumn leaves are beautiful (Here in Florida hardly any leaves change color).

My wife and I leave on vacation tomorrow (celebrating our 40th Anniversary) but when we return, I'll check out more of your entries in your archives.

Glad I came across your sight.

John Cowart

Yvonne Parks said...

Could your "Medical Secretary" Training transfer over to a veterinary clinic? Sounds like working in a place like that would be right up your alley!!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hi Nancy and Zoey!
What a great post! It could be submitted for an article in a pet magazine! Hmmmm ... there's a thought that has potential!

Mini is patiently waiting for another visit from Zoey! Next time we shall have to do the video thing when they are together for the blogs! Jeanette would get such a kick out of it! After you guys left, Mini had her chin down between her paws for hours! It wasn't until the sun went down and rose again that she seemed to be back to herself!

Rebecca said...

yep, the crappy side to the circle of life!!! Says I as I prepare my Dad's suicase as he heads off to a family funeral....

Rebecca said...

yep, the crappy side to the circle of life!!! Says I as I prepare my Dad's suicase as he heads off to a family funeral....

Jeanette said...

Love this post, Nancy! You are so good at writing, and I love your heart that comes shining through! Yes, we surely do need to get together when I come up to see Carol-Ann next time! I'm beginning to look forward to it already!