Friday, February 12, 2010

Elevator Encounter

Photobucket


Time. Time is ticking by.
I can feel an explosion inside.
People get ready.
(lyrics by Misty Edwards)


Last night. Nine thirty or so. Time to walk Zoe .

As we wait for the elevator, the door opens and a Lady who was my neighbor downstairs steps off. She is pale and rather shaky.

I had missed her presence around the building, since she is on the housekeeping staff and loves Zoe. I had heard she was not well...speculations abounded.

This lady invited us to come and visit a while. She is now staying with her eighty eight year old mother who lives on our floor.

'I have five brain tumors. Cancer.'

Shock registers on my face. So we talk.
She has known for three weeks and has begun radiation therapy.
She has also had to 'get her house in order' and has been driving herself to accomplish this in the midst of her symptoms.

She says she is fine. Ready to die. She must be finished what she was put here to do....right god ?

During our conversation, mostly listening on my part, my friend is chain smoking, cursing a little, but she is fine...not afraid, at peace actually.
Was I familiar with a certain psychic ? No, I wasn't.

So you have some kind of faith I ask ? Oh yes ! I'm fine, really, it's ok.

'I will pray for you my Lady .'

Thanks Nancy, but I'm ready, actually looking forward to it. I'm at peace. Haven't even cried. She is 57.

Meanwhile I am already standing with Jesus asking Him. Ok, now how are You going to do this, and once the shock wears off of me please Holy Spirit kick me into high gear prayer.

We know she is not 'ready' to stand before her Creator. The spirit of the age has spread it's veil over her .

So where else to go but to the Mercy Seat where we all stand on level ground . Please pray for this Lady, that Jesus will come to her in the midst of the symptoms of her illness and show her He is absolutely Real. Absolutely Alive, and Absolutely her loving Savior.

That when she takes her final breath she is Safely Home. That when she really 'wakes up' for real, she is smiling at her welcome into the Arms of Eternity.

Please Jesus, teach me how to pray. 'For the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us, with groans that words cannot express.' Romans 8/26

1 comment:

Trudy said...

That is very sad and she is so young. I'll remember to pray for her.