Sunday, January 24, 2010

Honoring My Mom

Photobucket

A happy young lady, born into a family that would eventually number ten children. Mom had to get to work early to help support the family. That was the way it went back in the days. One of the stories she told us, was that she started smoking when she was nine.

Photobucket


During the Second World War, mom was one of the many who enlisted. There were six of her siblings that also signed up. They were literally called the 'Fighting O'Toole's' a name that they lived out frequently even after the war.

My mom was a dancer in Army Shows , the company that entertained the troops.
It was among this group of young people where she met and eventually married my father in Italy.

Photobucket


Later, in 1945 mom had to return home because she was expecting me. That was a very hard thing for her to leave my dad overseas . She returned to her family here and dad came back in 1946 after I was born.

They had five children together and our mom was such a trooper. She was made our clothes, which was the way of life in those days. I loved my First Communion Dress. It really made me feel like a Bride and so pretty for Jesus.

Photobucket Photobucket


Photobucket


This was taken during a visit to Winnipeg back in the eighties. I can still feel the emotion of the moment, and knew she loved me.

Photobucket


My favorite picture of the two of us. Ahhhh...how young I was then....and brunette, my own color...well almost anyway. Maybe I should try that again.

Today is the day my mom graduated to heaven into the arms of Jesus. About three days before she died, I had a dream . In this dream mom came rushing into my kitchen. She was wearing her p.j.'s as usual, a Flight Jacket and big ol' wellington boots. She ran in and said to me....''hurry up and get moving, I have to go .''
Where are you going mom ? Then I followed her outside into the night. I took notice of the weather, no snow, wet streets...Mom jumped into the back seat of a taxi . In the vehicle were other members of her family who had gone before her.

Next day, the phone call comes and I was soon on my way here to Peterborough. When I arrived at the hospital it was night, no snow , wet streets. Same as in my dream.
Mom by this time was in a coma, but when I walked into her room she sat up in response to my presence, though she didn't regain consciousness.

As for me, I was privileged to remain alone with her the whole night, holding her hand, praying, singing to her and just being with her. Such a wonderful gift from the Lord, to be with her at her leaving. That was eighteen years ago today. I know she is enjoying her eternity with Jesus, and so just want to say thanks mom for all your hard work on our behalf . I love you and will see you soon.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

I love this post, you sure were (and actually still are) a beautiful lady, holy smokes! So was your Mom!