Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Gone

Photobucket

Though dawn is distant, I wake again
to sit in Your Presence, to wonder at You.

You've ruined me You know.
for anything else.

Longing for one vocation fills my soul:
To consider You, to feel You, to worship You.

To find words (o, vain and futile task!)
That capture what's in my heart.

Your gaze presses in upon me
Warm, yet weighty,
On the edge between tender and terrible;

And the oldest truth I know
comes back again in plain yet haunting tones:

You love me. I matter to You,
and You are never not there.

My heart swells with yearning,
Quickened to what the Shulamite knew so long ago.

Your image gazing through the lattice,
Your touch upon the door

Her pounding heart
sets the tempo for mine as desire mounts.

To be loved, purely and completely,
O wonder beyond wonder !

I will follow after You ,
lovesick for all my days.

You draw me upwards,
expanding my heart like a balloon over fire,

And I am carried on Spirit wings
to regions only dreams have known 'til now.


Photobucket
A small portion of a poem written by Gary Wiens 'Songs of a Burning Heart'

No comments: