Thursday, April 02, 2009

Thoughts on the Sock Drawer

Photobucket


Lately I have been thinking about purchasing life insurance. I am not a wealthy person, so to make a commitment to paying a monthly amount for the next five years at least, takes considerable pondering. At my age in life they will only start with five years....no long term....so funny !

On the other hand , if anything should happen and 'I get to go Home to Jesus' sooner than later, there would not be any burden on my children, whom I am sure will heave a collective sigh of relief and who can blame them.

Maybe that is what made me think on my sock drawer. What exactly is in 'your' sock drawer ?

When I was caring for my little Aunt T. a few years ago, the time ultimately came when it was time for me to 'clean out her sock drawer' now that she didn't need them any longer.

Last night while observing a pair of my old and worn socks, and having just purchased some new ones, I suddenly remembered Aunt T.'s sock drawer. They were living together among her undies, as are mine . The dresser was an old white one handed down from someone. Mine is an old brown one that I purchased last year at a thrift shop.

Anyway, my mind wandered to the time when my kids or perhaps my sisters will be the ones to come and 'clean out my sock drawer' and decide if any are worthy to be recycled or donated somewhere .Where do socks go to die ?

What's in your sock drawer ? Is it in suitable condition to be 'gone through' when you don't need them any longer ? And those undies ? (notice I didn't say 'dainties')
Hmmmmmmmm... I would like to think my sister may want my fluffy red ones , socks not undies ....ok, I'm getting carried away here.

Thinking of my little Aunt's sock drawer is a bitter sweet memory . I'm not ready to clean mine out yet though so don't worry. It would be interesting to know what other people keep in theirs .

So, living with my socks and undies is my ipod, semi important papers that I was too tired to put away, an expired Christmas card to one of my grandsons , a few pictures that also didn't get put away properly, and I honestly don't know what else since it's a deep drawer and I only live off the upper corner layer.

When you live alone who's to notice these little things, but when it's time for someone else to have to 'do the sock drawer and other personals' it's a different feeling. So I hope I remember to tidy it up before I leave the planet. Oh yeah and get rid of my journals ....gotta remember that one for sure.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Trudy said...

When my brother Dirk passed away a few years ago,his wife Willy had the task of cleaning out his "Sock Drawer". She told me: "I did not know he had THAT many nail files!"
It took her a long time to clean out/up his things. When talking to me about it we both decided we need to have a clean-up periodically. That includes clothing we have not worn for over a year.

But Nancy, of all the things your kids would be interested in is your Journal, that is you!!!
Why do you think I go to great length to translate my Diary/Journal?

I even wrote one when I went through the cancer operation. Actually I said goodbye to Ted and the kids, just in case I could not be " "salvaged".Right after the operation I wrote and the writing is all crooked. But I was determined to let them know I came through it in colors.

As for life or funeral insurance, yep, very important. We decided on that as well after Dirk's passing.
Our funeral is one's responsibility not our loved one's.

I loved your post and also the previous one about your interesting "Z", so cute.

Love ye
Trudy

Nancy said...

No Trudy, my kids would not be interested in my journaling. Mine are mostly between me and the Lord and the trials of my life.

Rebecca said...

Hmmmm.....I think that is quite the post! I have two sock drawers, full of such things all mashed together..socks and smalls. I do not think my kids would be interested in my journals either..having said that, I am very interested in those of my parents.

Nancy said...

I would be too Rebecca, if my parents had kept any. I miss not having had the opportunity to 'get to know ' who my parents were as people, not just the mom and dad I grew up with and took for granted. It was a different generation where I always heard that 'children should be seen and not heard, and just do as you're told because I said so....' I am sure this was the result of their own experiences with dysfunctional parents....and so it was passed down....until....God...