Saturday, March 27, 2010

Signs of Spring

Today , though it was not very warm, I decided to take Zoe and head out to one of my favorite places . The buds on the trees are in evidence most places and the new green is beginning to be seen in the evergreen trees.

I really enjoy walking along the canal. The Lift Locks appear to be in need of a good cleaning. Once the snow is gone, all the mess that was hidden is everywhere, even in the water.

Many , many years ago, when I was a young lady of seventeen the fall season was warm so we were in shorts. The canal had been drained, and appeared dry and solid.

So.....for some unknown reason I decided to take a 'short cut' to the other side. I took a running start down the little embankment and ran full on out onto the bottom of the canal.

Nope...not dry...not solid....

The shear momentum of my speed sent me about half way across when I came to a stinking sinking stop !

Mired in muck and stinking like sewage mud almost up to my  knees. White knee socks, and white tennis shoes....unimaginable !! Lots of crying and screaming happening as reality really does bite sometimes.

Somehow I managed to escape the grip of the underworld trying to suck me down. What a memory !


Side view of the Locks facing west.

This door drew my attention for some reason, so I went closer to take a better picture. The leaves are piled against the door . My little puppy Zoe, being so small, suddenly showed blood on her little butt fur. She had cut herself on a broken beer bottle hidden under the leaves.
So our adventure was cut short today. From now on I will be alert to ensure her safety . I will not go on a tangent on the kind of person who would throw a glass bottle away in such a manner...not right now anyway.



Little black squirrel in the tree enjoying a snack.


My favorite birds of the season were everywhere, squabbling over who gets the best worm. 



The end of the day, a soft almost full moon rises in the east over our little home town .

2 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Whew! This was a chaotic read! From sweet signs of spring to mud-sinks and beer bottle rump-cuts to the soft almost full moon rising in the east over your little home town!

Poor Zoe! I would have been furious if that was Mini!

Trudy said...

What a story Nancy. You were an adventurous one!
Yes spring is beautiful as your pictures testify.