Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Characters and Friends

Image hosting by Photobucket

I have been working for about two months at a senior independent living apartment community. While my physical frame groans under the strain of overload, there are some very wonderful side benefits to this place.

The Lord has already given me a soft spot for the elderly, but lately He has been working overtime, tenderizing my heart toward those He cherishes, especially as they near the end of their lives.

My favorites from day one have been a little couple, especially the husband. He looks so cute in his red sweater and I always tell him so. Riva, cannot see very well, so she hangs on tight to David as he moves slowly down the hall with his walker.She has a smart sense of humor.
David can see better, and still drives his car once in a while. He is so friendly and has a bright sharp spirit. I am looking forward to cleaning their suite.

The thing that amazes me as I clean the apartments, is the things that people choose to bring with them when they leave their homes and have to downsize.
Mr and Mrs. T. have large pictures that they worked on together in needlepoint.
Now, Mrs. T is blind with macular degeneration, and Mr. T can see somewhat better, so he takes care of her, and pretty well I must say.
When I come in once a week to clean, he changes the towels, and does the laundry. He also goes to the activity room every day at 10 a.m. and works out on the treadmill. He is 94 years old.

Then there is Frank. He is also blind with macular degeneration, but every day, he cooks his own lunch, does his dishes, and chats away loudly as I work. His hearing is impaired, so he comes up about six inches from your face to speak to you.
I am getting used to this. He has had a very good life, and has told me so, and I remind him of this when he gets to feeling down.
It's so funny, even at this age, he shows me his new blankets and tells me these are his favorite colors. It's a hoot and a blessing.
One day he walked by the lady at the front desk, and said, Hi there, you're looking good today ! So I reminded her that he was blind :) but that it was still a compliment.

One of my favorite "Ladies" is Mrs. C. She is eighty nine years of age and enjoys having a chat when I come. The first time I met her, she said "I shall be so very embarasssed if you find any dust or dirt. My mother taught me properly concerning such things." She too has macular degeneration, but I tell you, her suite is so clean I cannot find very much to do for her.
She uses her walker and is continually moving her stuff around. I think of Rebecca every time I am in there for she and Mrs. C. would be able to have some good worldly and proper conversations.
Mrs. C. seems to me like a 'queen mum' type with a hint of social snobbery, that at her age is still evident as she name drops, names that in my low born state I miss completely. She's a sweetie and I am so fond of her.

My last lady for now is Ruth. A classy lady, her children set her up beautifully, and visit often. Last week, when I cleaned her suite, I noticed 'reminders' everywhere, and lovely family pictures strategically placed throughout her new home.
Later that day, she came out to me asking for directions to the dining room. It was right in front of her.
As I helped her, I was reminded of early alzheimers. My heart breaks for her, and the journey ahead for Ruth and her children. I wanted to 'look after' her.

These are just a few of my 'friends', that I am enjoying, appreciating, and praying for these days.
Where will I finish out my later days Lord? Will I remember You, the Love and Life of my heart.
As my eyes grow dim , will I loose my Sight as Eli did? Please God , I pray not. Will my hearing fail? Will I forget the sound of Your sweet Voice, of Your song over me in the night? Oh Please Jesus I pray not. Holy Spirit, cover my friends tonight Lord, and keep them in Your care.

As an afterthought, I was on hands and knees this afternoon, cleaning a very messy toilet bowl, inside and out. As I was doing this, I said to God, as for humiliation, it is easier to clean it up than be the one having to be cleaned up after.

Then He reminded me that He is in each place. When It was my little Aunt, He was in me comforting her, and He was in her being comforted be me. What an Amazing God I love.

One more honorable mention. My mother in law, Hilda, is in her 98th. year, and she has served the Lord most of her days. Tonight she too waits in a 'home', not really her home, alone. Waiting for her Jesus to come for her.
What must that be like?
Waiting for Jesus! Getting to SEE HIM FOR REAL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing you are!!
So interesting!! How God loves those people that most ignore.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, this is such a heart-warming post! I can just see these little people and can imagine you so clearly in my mind interacting with them! Such great stories!

Nancy said...

Thank you both. Yes, these are special people to me. David fell yesterday, and has a black eye, but is o.k. His son is a doctor so can come really fast when needed.