Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Sounds of Today

An Unseen Presence silently nudges me awake. I have forgotten to set my alarm.

My coffee maker chuggs into action. The sound of my computer booting up.

Sighs and murmurs of my heart ascend as I meet with The One who gives me breath and strength for another day.

Birds singing the sounds of springtime as I walk to work. The hungry squawk of the ravens nearby is in harsh contrast to the songbirds.

Cheerful greetings as I enter the security door of my work.

Pleasant voices in conversation over breakfast in the dining room.

The hum of my vaccuum, and I slip into the world of my own thoughts and prayers deep within, while smiling pleasantly.

Frank chatting from his place of lonliness as I clean. He coughs, and sputters and sighs loudly complaining of growing old.....it's not a good day , but what can you do?

The grunts and soft groans from another, and I am aware more and more of the ravages of time on these bodies of flesh.

Another moan and, another prayer, how long Lord ? Wait a minute that was me ! Stiffly getting from my knees after cleaning the fourth bathroom of the day .

Today my hands were aching from so much scrubbing, though not audible to the human ear, very loud to me. What the heck ?

Finally the grateful sound of my key in my door. The songs of worship coming from the prayer room on my computer.

The crashing of my body as my couch welcomes me again, and my little buddy Sam, happliy dancing at my homecoming.

I cuddle Sam and feel bad for leaving him alone. He has picked up a new sound I have been noticing. Grunts, moans, small wimpers , and almost intelligible dog language. He is beginning to sound like those I work for, or perhaps he's immitating me . God have mercy !!!!!

An evening of resting and wondering how long I can do this. As I let the waves of devotion and prayer wash over me, it's time to let the sounds of today fade into silence.
Even though I sleep, my heart is awake listening for the Sound of the Voice I long to hear whisper me awake once again.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh my -
Remember what Sophie Loren always says and it is something like even though you wan't to groan or make a noise as you struggle to stand...DON'T - for you are a lady!! Too funny..I grunt and groan as well, but always hear her words ringing in my ears!!! I especially find it hard right now as my back is way out of kilter..but her voice is still there!

It won't be long Nancy...

Erica said...

Checking to see if my picture shows up when I comment now.

Erica said...

hey it worked

Nancy said...

Rebecca, I will try to remember your valuable advice. Thanks you for the word of encouragement my friend. I hear you.