Thursday, September 11, 2008

Saying Goodbye

Photobucket


Last Sunday, my brother in laws' mother passed away. She was 87 years of age, and had lived a full life. She went to heaven speedily with a great look of surprise in her eyes and a smile on her lips.

There is just something so special when families gather during a time like this. It seems like all arguments get put to rest and the arms of sadness and loss reach across invisible boundaries we erect and embrace each one in a peculiar way.

I had known Thelma for many years, but was not close in the sense of her immediate family. Still it was an honor for me to be welcomed and embraced by her family . I love the way the Lord speaks to me when eternity is so near.

Part of me is almost envious of the departed since she is now actually beholding the Desire of my heart and I must wait with longing unmeasurable my own calling home.

Today it just felt good to be part of a family. I miss my own family, we are scattered abroad and life is just that way sometimes. So when the moments of belonging to a bigger picture come I am very thankful .

The choices I have made for my life are my choices. I actually enjoy my solitude but there is a place in my soul that also longs to know the fulfillment and safety of belonging, loving and being safely loved in return . Serving, encouraging , needing and being needed .

All this I was privileged to be reminded of today , at the same time, standing so close to the Door, waiting with eager anticipation my first glimpse of the Face of Jesus when it is my turn to enter and not ever have to leave .

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

What a beautiful post, Nancy! This was one of those amazing glimpses into what is ahead, and it brings tears to my eyes!