Friday, October 23, 2009

Come to Me

“Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

Come to me…The invitation is to come to him. Why him?

He offers the invitation as a penniless rabbi in an oppressed nation. He has no political office, no connections with the authorities in Rome. He hasn’t written a best-seller or earned a diploma.

Yet, he dares to look into the leathery faces of farmers and tired faces of housewives and offer rest.
He looks into the disillusioned eyes of a preacher or two from Jerusalem. He gazes into the cynical stare of a banker and the hungry eyes of a bartender and makes this paradoxical promise:

“Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” (Matt. 11:29).

The people came.

They came out of the cul-de-sacs and office complexes of their day.

They brought him the burdens of their existence, and he gave them not religion, not doctrine, not systems, but rest.

“Come to Me”
By Max Lucado

1 comment:

Amrita said...

These days I am reading a lot of Max Lucado and being blessed by his writings. Thank you for sharing