Monday, August 21, 2006

Reflection

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This past week I had the opportunity and priviledge of working an earlier shift with my overnight Lady. I worked from three until nine p.m. and then did the overnight. This afternoon/evening shift is very different in that I prepare an evening meal and get to take my Lady for a walk twice during this time frame.

The location is a small village about twenty minutes from here. A lovely picturesque little town with a river flowing through the centre of it.

My lady loves these walks.

Funny how the Lord can give us a 'ministry', and all the while, HE knows that it is actually these circumstances specifically designed to work His changes into our lives.

My Lady (89) suffers from dementia, a type of short term memory loss.
I overheard her talking with her husband (91) the other night,( I am required to listen ) concerning the challenges they have in remembering,( he suffers from early alzheimer's ) and the daily care they require having someone always present in their home.

Sometimes they experience great frustration. A word won't come to mind, or the same questions are asked over and over and over. Loving and tender words once whispered sweetly, now spoken loudly into deaf ears. These aging hearts remember that love still lives here.

My Lady was heard to say.'I am just so thankful, and I just enjoy everything.' And she really does! She has a wonderful sense of humor, and when we go for a walk, she soaks in as much as her impared vision will allow.

The bright colour of the flowers, the grass, the trees, the birds, the water flowing quietly in the evening as we sit and observe. People are friendly, smiling and waving to her , sincerely happy to see her.

The simple things. This Lady who cannot remember a few moments before in time, the Lord has used to teach me something lovely.

The need to stop and become aware of the small and beautiful moments, even while the world around us is at war, and remember that His eye is on the sparrow, and upon my Lady and myself as we walk the hidden places in an obscure little village somewhere in Southern Ontario.

I find myself smiling a lot more when I am with these dear people. Thank You Lord Jesus and thank you my Lady, you have blessed me today.

1 comment:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Nancy!
What an enjoyable read and reread!
Just wonderful!