Thursday, April 05, 2007

Success

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Another hurdle successfully behind me! Tonight I finished my final exam in Transcription. This course , of all that I have attempted, was the one I feared the most, and the one I enjoyed the most. (Physical discomfort aside.)

I had to teach myself to type efficiently enough to even be able to attempt it in the first place. Transcription involves listening to doctors dictate patient results etc.and then transcribing the reports.

Many times, understanding the many different accents is certainly a challenge, not to mention becoming familiar with the medical terms, and deciphering these clearly.
One doctor, kept yawning , and everytime I had to rewind to try to hear what he was saying, I would yawn myself. Pretty funny at the time.

In the process of my education, it seemed I always found myself sitting beside someone already well accomplished in typing.
This revealed my deep inferiority complex, as the faster I heard these others typing, the more nervous and clumsy I became.

In spite of it all, by the time I finished I had learned to block out the intimidation I was feeling, and get the work done in time, and with confidence.

This is a most amazing thing for me. In the midst of all the distraction and distress with Sam's illness, constantly before my eyes, the Lord's grace continues to carry me through . I am very thankful.

I have only two weeks to go and my last course will be finished. Yay!!! I will receive a certificate that will tell me it was worth it all.

Then I plan to take a little vacation to see my beautiful grand children in Winnipeg.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hmmm..I have listened to Erin dictate things on the phone and yes, I can imagine that these Dr.s are sometimes very difficult to hear and understand.....the yawning - well that is because they are usually exhausted by the time they get around to this task!!!
Congratulations on your course and I am so glad that the finish line is in sight. I hope the snow and the mess is gone by the time you get to the Peg...it was NASTY when I left - but at least the sun was shining.

Nancy said...

These tapes that we listened to are many years old, and the yawning doc. is now working in the U.S. There was a story told that he even fell asleep while talking to a patient in his office. Funny now, but probably a little disconcerting to the patient at the time.
Thanks for the good wishes Rebecca and please pray for the Lord's direction in the job marketplace.It is not easy being an old wrinkly looking for a place to call home .Bless you.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Nancy!
Wonderful news re the transcription course! You've done so very, very well! And your marks have been at the top of the chart! Oh! Congratulations! Glad to see you are going West -- a well-earned trip!